Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Not Much Found in 'Found in Him'

Found in Him
Elyse Fitzpatrick




Book Summary: Believers’ union with Christ stands at the heart of the gospel. Thankfully, this neglected doctrine is garnering renewed interest among academics and lay people alike. Writing with everyday readers in mind, Elyse Fitzpatrick embarks on a journey of discovery and joy as she explores the wonder of the Incarnation and the glory of the Christian’s unbreakable connection to Christ. Fitzpatrick looks at the Bible’s use of marriage as a metaphor for the relationship that Christians enjoy with their Savior, examining its significance for understanding key doctrines such as Jesus’s death, resurrection, and ascension. Directing Christians to the core of their salvation, this devotional book will stir readers’ affections for God and renew their confidence as beloved children “in Christ.”

Review: I found this book difficult to read at times. I struggled the most at the beginning with some of Ms. Fitzpatrick’s statements like Jesus was made in man’s image and before the next chapter, if that long later, closed she reversed that statement. There were many statements that she and I do not agree on along that vein. I do not want to go into all of them for fearing to sound like I am picking on her. I think the greatest thing this book did for me was prove I can defend my position with scripture and find the scripture that refutes things written in this book. I also disagree with some of her ideas about what Peter stated at the Transfiguration, since they were based on Ms. Fitzpatrick’s ideas and not on scripture I won’t argue about being right or wrong. I will say that she is wrong about the Jews not being able to kill another Jew. Stephen is a perfect example of that along with Paul. I believe maybe she meant that they could kill him to the point where He was a cursed, the only way to do that is by hanging him on a tree. For the Bible say ‘cursed is anyone who hangs on a tree’ they did intend to kill him in His own home town by picking up stones to stone Him with. The only one to live through a stoning in the Bible is Paul. That is not because of him but God.
I would like to thank Net Galley and Crossway for allowing me to read and review this book in return for a free copy and I was never asked to write a favorable review by anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment