Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Inn at Last Chance was Unique

Inn at Last Chance
Hope Ramsey




Book Summary: Jenny Carpenter is the unrivaled pie-baking champion of Last Chance, South Carolina's annual Watermelon Festival and the town's unofficial spinster. With her dream of marriage and children on hold, she focuses on another dream, turning the local haunted house into a charming bed-and-breakfast. But her plans go off course when the home's former owner shows up on her doorstep on a dark and stormy night . . . Mega-bestselling horror writer Gabriel Raintree is as mysterious and tortured as his heroes. His family's long-deserted mansion is just the inspiration he needs to finish his latest twisted tale, or so he thinks until he learns it's been sold. The new innkeeper proves to be as determined as she is kind, and soon Gabriel finds himself a paying guest in his own home. As Jenny and Gabe bring new passion to the old house, can she convince him to leave the ghosts of his past behind-and make Last Chance their first choice for a future together?

Review: I am torn on this book. There were some things I did like and some things I did not like. Jenny and Gabe were as different as night and day. Ms. Ramsey almost succeeded in making Gabe so dour that I did not like the entire fighting and strife that was the first 25% of the book. I almost stopped reading it. I liked parts of the middle when things were moving along with the inn and the dog. I could have done without the ghost. I liked the secondary characters of Zeph, Nita, Sheriff Rhodes, and Maryanne. They helped the book along tremendously. I loved the setting of Last Chance, SC to be fun the description were well written and painted vivid pictures of all the settings. Overall the book was not as much my style of reading that I thought it would be. I do think the author is a talented writer. Her use of words and description were vivid and well done. Her storyline was consistent and well developed.

I would like to thank Net Galley and Forever (Grand Central Publishing) for allowing me to read and review this book in return for a free copy and I was never asked to write a favorable review by anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment