Wednesday, June 11, 2014

A Fun Group to Join the Smitten Book Club

Smitten Book Club
Colleen Coble, Diann Hunt, Denise Hunter, & Kristen Billerbeck




Book Summary: At a rummage sale, Heather, a member of the Fireside Book Club, discovers a turn-of-the-century romantic advice book written by a once-famous Smitten, Vermont, resident. When she shares the precious volume with her friends in the club, they find clues about a hidden treasure rumored to be buried in their tiny town. As Heather, Abby, Lia, and Molly take turns reading the book, each projects onto it her own literary tastes. Heather sees it as a mystery. Abby discovers delicious dashes of Jane Austen. Lia sees in it the idealism of a bygone day. And Molly just wishes they'd made the book into a movie! One by one, each of the women finds romantic love—often in spite of the historic book's advice. And in searching for the legendary gold, the friends discover the best kind of treasure. The kind that brings hope and healing to each of their hearts.

Review: I liked the overall theme that the stories kept of the Treasure hunt through the book historic book of advice. It was fun to watch this time into the stories. I liked most of the characters but did not enjoy Molly’s story as much. I felt sorry for her the book opened with the death of her husband. But for me I could not connect with Molly as easily as I did Lia, Heather and even Abby. I like the male characters in all the stories. I think the changing seasons lent itself to the moving of time that led into Molly’s story. I liked Heather’s story the best overall. Usually if I like the first story I tend to enjoy all of them. Despite not connecting with Molly, I did find her spunk to be a plus by her learning to run the company. I think the most moving part for me is that Diann Hunt is now with the Lord and this is her last story. It is bitter sweet for her friends and family left behind. All that being said the book was worth the read and continues in the periphery the characters that have gone before always a real plus when reading a series style book.
I would like to thank Net Galley and Thomas Nelson for allowing me to read and review this book in return for a free copy and I was never asked to write a favorable review by anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment